Music In Our Schools Month
Free Resources for Music Educators
NAfME's Music In Our Schools Month®, celebrated every March, promotes the benefits of high quality music education programs in schools across the country. To support this effort, we're offering free printable resources and activities for you and your students:
- Classroom Materials—Resources include a composer quiz, coloring activity, and "Meter Madness" game! Excerpted from Accent on Composers (00-41908), Instrument Zoo (00-35860), and Gotta Have Games (00-46834).
- Career Skill-Building Unit—Includes a chapter on developing problem-solving skills, including an 8-10 minute lesson, activity, and reflection. Excerpted from Careers Through Music (98-069207631X).
- Group Piano Unit—This free unit covers major scales and triads of the key. Excerpted from Alfred's Group Piano for Adults, Book 1 (00-30368).
- Theory Activity—Help students practice counting beats in 4/4 time, as well as identify perfect, major, and augmented intervals. Excerpted from Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory: Teacher's Activity Kit, Complete (00-26327).
- Concert Band Chorale—Use this chorale by Scott Watson during rehearsals to address intonation, phrasing, and dynamics. Excerpted from Sound Innovations for Concert Band: Ensemble Development for Young Concert Band (00-40709).
- Orchestra Warm Up—This warm up addresses rhythms in slow 3/4 (counting in 3). Excerpted from Sound Innovations for String Orchestra: Creative Warm-Ups (00-44213).
- Sound Leadership—This free unit features an assessment for leadership teams in music programs. Excerpted from Sound Leadership (00-47892).