One winner will be selected. The winning entrant will receive one copy of MakeMusic's Finale® 2014 Academic and his or her composition will be reviewed for possible publication in the Lawson-Gould catalog. If published, the winning entry will be displayed in the Alfred Music booth at the 2015 ACDA National Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah.
View Official Rules.
- Entry must be a choral composition.
- A cappella or keyboard accompaniment.
- Scores should be written in a manner consistent with notation for the product type (choral). Lead sheets or song lyrics will not be reviewed.
- No more than five minutes in length.
- Public domain or original text, secular or sacred.
- Any standard choral voicing is permitted.
- An original work composed by the entrant or any arrangement of a public domain composition arranged by the entrant.
- Alfred Music is to be the only publisher in current review of the manuscript.
- Only one entry per entrant.
- See link below for Official Rules.
Entry should include:
- Cover letter with the entrant's contact information (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email Address) and the title of the submitted work.
- Copy of the composition. The entrant's name or other identifying information must not appear anywhere on the score. Identifying information should only appear on the cover letter.
- For electronic entries, use of music notation software is encouraged, but scans of legibly handwritten entries are also acceptable.
- For physical entry please see below.
- Audio recording (mp3), if available. The entrant’s name or other identifying information must not appear anywhere on the recording or the file.
Physical entries may be sent to:
C/O Lawson-Gould Choral Composition Contest
16320 Roscoe Blvd. Suite 100
Van Nuys, CA 91406
Send copies of the materials in the package. Do not send the original or your only copy. All materials must be received by October 1, 2014. A contest winner will be announced on November 1, 2014.
All intellectual property in the entries remain the property of the entrant unless an offer of publication is made and accepted and the parties enter into a formal written agreement signed by the parties. Electronic files will be destroyed once a winner is declared. Physical entries will be returned via US mail to their respective entrants. Entries will be judged by the Alfred Music choral editorial team. Criteria for selection include appropriate (choral) composition/arranging skills, suitability for performance by an advanced choir, and overall marketability. All decisions of the editorial team are final. See link below for the Official Rules. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to adults age 18 and over as of the start date. Starts April 21, 2014 12:00am PDT, ends October 1, 2014 11:59pm PDT. By entering the Lawson-Gould 2014-15 Choral Composition Contest you agree to the Official Rules and to play for free.
Sponsor is Alfred Publishing Co., Inc. dba Alfred Music located at 16320 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 100, Van Nuys, CA 91406.